Church services in early Scarborough were conducted at irregular intervals in settlers' log cabins, in barns, roadside inns and schools. The first Anglican Church in the Toronto area east of the Don River was St. Margaret's Church in-the-Pines, built in 1833. Within a few years, plans were formed and funds raised for a new, larger church to be erected on a better location, a hilltop on the north side of Kingston Rd., just east of the present Cromwell Rd. and west of the C.N.R. railway line.
During the years 1845 and 1846 Christ Church was built: a frame structure with a bell tower and stately spire. It was a landmark for Scarborough stagecoach travelers. For many years Christ Church was the centre of life and worship for the Anglicans of the surrounding county, since St. Margaret's was used only for seasonal services and funerals.
On Christmas morning, 1918, while about 80 people attended service, fire broke out. The building burned rapidly and completely. One of the few relics saved was the Honour Role from World War I, which hangs in the Narthex of the present church. In April 1921, a new $14,000.00 red brick church was built on the same site. For 15 more years the Christ Church spire continued to be a landmark for south Scarborough.
By 1936, increasing population brought the need for better highways and therefore work began to widen and level the old Kingston Road to create a four-lane highway. This encroachment upon the church property forced yet another change. It was decided to dismantle the building and rebuild on Markham Road about 1 mile to the west.
The rebuilt, third Christ Church (the present building), architecturally similar to its predecessors, was opened in December 1937. The parish hall and connecting stairways were added in 1955 and the two offices built in 1976. "Renewal 88" afforded the opportunity to add washrooms and an elevator, modifications to the chancel and a new organ.
Since our 150th Anniversary there has been a noticeable change and this one is indicative of the demographic shift in Scarborough. Our congregation reflects the evolution of our church and our community, a community that is both ethnically and culturally diverse.
For more than 170 years Christ Church Scarborough Village has actively served God and the people of Scarborough, a heritage of which we are all very proud.